- November 6, 2021
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Studio in the Park
The main facility for the Art Guild of Louisiana is the Studio in the Park. This BREC building is located in Cedarcrest Park in Baton more…
This will be a super fun workshop for artists or crafters of all skill levels seeking a different, adventurous, and easy new technique to add texture and dimension to a painting project. In this workshop you will be working on customizing/personalizing sketch journals or other small journals. They make great gifts for friends, family or yourself. This technique can even be used on diaries, appointment books, canvas board or other items with a fairly rigid surface. Put your imagination to work! And register now!
The coordinators will have several designs to share that are sized to fit 5.5 x 8.5 journals. If you have a special design you want to try the coordinators will be happy to work with you to try to make it work. Designs should be relatively simple without a lot of detail. Some supplies will be provided by the coordinators.
All proceeds from this workshop are being donated to the Guild.
- Any type of journal/notebook, sketchbook or appointment book that has a hardback cover that is at least 8.5×5.5 inches but no larger than 8×10 inches. ** Hobby Lobby usually has black sketchbook journals, 8.5 x 5.5 inch size hard spiral or book bound journals on sale usually every other week for $5 or $6. Instructors have a few of those sketch books available for purchase at $7 each but you must email and reserve yours prior to the class.
- White graphite transfer paper for tracing your design onto the black hard bound journal. Instructors will have extra white graphite available to borrow. Don’t forget to bring a red ballpoint ink pen.
- Miniature Hot Glue Gun and 12 mini glue sticks. You must bring a mini glue gun and about 12 mini glue sticks. Instructors will have extra glue sticks on hand if you run out.
- A bristle painting brush or one similar to a stencil brush. We will use it to gently sweep away any of the “stringy residue” left behind by the hot glue once it has dried. You will need to clean the surface up before applying paint and/or the gesso. We can share if you don’t have one.
- Acrylic Paint Brushes – 1/4″ and 1/2″ flats or angles and a small round brush – or bring whatever brushes you have. Instructors will have extra acrylic brushes for you to borrow.
- White Gesso if you have it but don’t go buy it. Instructors have enough for all to use.
- DecoArt or Americana Acrylic Craft bottle paint (or other similar brands) We will specifically be using gold metallic and black so bring these colors in the small 2-ounce bottles if you have them. We will also be using many other metallic and non-metallic colors. Bring whatever acrylic paint you have. Instructors will have various other acrylic paints on hand for you to use. Iridescent colors with fine glitter will work great. If you can find the clear opalescent paint it looks especially nice on the journals.
- DuraClear Glossy Varnish – is a water-based varnish – in a 2 oz size bottle ($3) and can be found at Hobby Lobby or Michaels near the bottled craft paints. We will use it as a final finish. No spray finishes allowed.
- General Art Supplies – Blue Painters / or Freezer Tape, water bowl, scissors, ruler, red ball point, pencil, eraser, etc. Don’t worry if you don’t have all of these. We can share.
- A Dollar Tree ($1.00) Rectangle Table Cloth – Help replenish our stock and donate a rectangle tablecloth (preferably white). Workshop participants should bring their own plastic table covering for their work area. Due to Covid we want to keep your worktable clean.
Each participant will need to provide their own hard bound journal 8.5 x 5.5 – 8 x 10 inch size spiral or book bound. If you plan to purchase one from the instructor ($7) you need to email and let them know so they will reserve one for you. Participants will need to provide their own small mini glue gun and about 12 mini glue sticks. The mini glue guns are easier to handle, and you can control the flow of the glue a lot easier than that of a large glue gun. If you run out of glue sticks the instructors will have plenty of extra on hand.
The workshop registration is limited so that individual attention can be given to each participant. Once the workshop is at capacity the instructors will email the various designs we have selected to each participant so you can choose your drawing. We will size the print and have it ready for you to trace the pattern onto your journal the morning we start the workshop.
FYI … we have coffee available at the Guild, a microwave, and a refrigerator with a freezer. If you would like ice, we suggest you bring it in a Ziplock bag and place it in the freezer since we do not have an ice maker. You may bring snacks, water, soft drinks, and a brown bag lunch since we will like take a 30 to 45 minute lunch break.
COVID: In accordance with the Governors’ mandate effective August 4, 2021, face coverings are required for both vaccinated and unvaccinated participants/staff for all workshops held at the Studio in the Park. The possibility of additional flexibility will be determined at the time of the workshop.
Please do not attend the workshop if you are sick.